Our Commitment to Be Kind to the Earth
Here at Sundara we set an example of love and respect for the earth. In fact, it's written into our mission statement.
We have been accepted as a Platinum level GreenLeader in the new TripAdvisor® GreenLeaders™ program, which helps travelers plan greener trips by identifying environmentally-friendly accommodations across the U.S. GreenLeaders have met a set of environmental standards developed by industry experts. The more green practices a property has in place, the higher its GreenLeader level with Platinum being the highest.
We are a seed member of the Green Spa Network, a non-profit organization that promotes the natural
connection between personal well-being, economic sustainability, and the health of our planet.
We are certified by Travel Green Wisconsin, a voluntary program designed to protect the beauty and
vitality of the state's landscape and natural resources by certifying tourism businesses that have made a
commitment to reducing their environmental impact.
We participate in the Global Soap Project, gathering up discarded soap bars from our suites and
providing to the Global Soap Project to process into new soap bars that are then distributed to
vulnerable populations throughout the world. It literally can mean the difference between life and
death. Read the inspiring story of the founder
Here are other ways, large and small, that we leave a lighter footprint.Spa Products and Services
- Guests may select from a complete series of organic spa treatments.
- An ancient Cambrian-era sand discovered at the spa's excavation site is used as the exfoliating
agent in the Sundara signature Sandstone Body Polish product.
- The high potency organic plant ingredients in the entire line of Amala Skincare products, used in many of our spa treatments, is sourced from a fair trade network of farms which practice organic, regenerative farming. The company reinvests a percentage of its profits back in to the farm network. The founders believe nature provides everything needed to look and feel beautiful and, because their treatment products are of 100% natural origin, the ingredients work with the body, helping the skin to strengthen and repair itself.
- We carry the Voya skincare line and they have an emphasis on sustainability and hand-harvest certified organic seaweed, a plant rich in countless minerals and vitamins, combining the best organic ingredients from around the world.
- Sundara's make up line is jane iredale and from the company's green philosophy and animal rights support to its local and national community support, founder Jane Iredale is always striving to provide the products you love while treading as lightly on the earth as possible.
- Our men's organic skincare line, Organic Male OM4, cares about quality, sustainable organics and the world around us.
- We grow herbs and vegetables in our own gardens right here on the grounds of Sundara.
- Rainwater is collected from downspouts in rain barrels for use in watering plants.
- We participate in a Community Supported Agriculture partnership with nearby Orange Cat
- We source all our milk, butter, eggs, cream and yogurt from Organic Valley, headquartered in
Wisconsin, and it's all 100% Certified Organic.
- We source our whole fruit locally whenever possible and it's organic too.
- Our outdoor infinity pool and indoor and outdoor soak baths use the minimum amount of
purification chemicals required by state law.
- During the winter months, guests enjoy snow shoeing and cross country skiing on the grounds
- There are three state parks nearby that are sanctuaries for hiking, canoeing and kayaking.
- Bicycling and walking are favorite recreational pursuits as well.
Reduce, Recycle, Reuse
- Bulk products are preferred for our professional spa products and in our guest lounges.
- When possible, glass is used in both the spa and suites to reduce paper and plastic waste.
- We separate paper, cans and plastic and contract with a nearby company for our paper
recycling. Our participation in this program saved many trees last year.
- Containers are reused when possible to reduce waste.
- Guests participate in the green practices of Sundara with simple measures such as requesting
less frequent laundering of linens.
Sustainable Building Practices
- Site disturbances were kept to a minimum during the construction of Sundara, dramatically
reducing the development footprint by preserving as many pine trees and other indigenous
plants as possible.
- Trees that had to be removed were recycled and used by the contractor for timbers and
retaining walls for other projects.
- Pine straw and pine cones collected from the forest floor were used for natural mulch.
- The stone retaining walls are natural stone harvested locally.
- The special outdoor lighting system controls light pollution and protect nocturnal animals.
- Every mechanical system is high efficiency.
- In our Villas: Low fuel-emitting materials for flooring and paint were selected; wood used in the
construction was planted and harvested as a renewable resource; placement of the windows
reduces the need to turn on lights; overhangs stop direct light from coming in during the
summer, keeping the space naturally cool, while other sun shading is angled to allow the winter
sun to stream in, lending natural warmth.